Bell & Ross Instrument BR 01-92 Radar
Inspired by an aircraft navigation tool
|Rating: 69 %1000 with 290 votes|
True to the Bell & Ross philosophy, the BR 01 RADAR watch is inspired by aircraft cockpits, where each instrument is a reference point in terms of legibility, reliability and performance.
An aircraft’s radar allows easy, accurate and
instantaneous reading of what is often a complex situation.
Bell & Ross has borrowed the radar display and adapted it to the BR 01 RADAR watch, going beyond the concept of the traditional reading of the time.
An innovative display
What first stands out about the RADAR is the simplicity of its display, a departure from normal convention. It is reminiscent of the light beam that sweeps the circular screen of the radar.
• The hands and the dial merge onto a single plane. In their place, three brightly coloured line segments are placed on three independent concentric disks. They indicate the hours, minutes and seconds as the eye moves towards the centre of the dial.
• The glass of the dial resembles a target. Two graduated perpendicular axes are superimposed on the disks to indicate the time.
• To read the watch, each differently coloured line segment refers to a unit of time: red indicates the hours, yellow the minutes and green the seconds. The dial and the casing are matte black, providing a simple contrast that increases the legibility of the watch.
The simplicity of the BR 01 RADAR’s design masks the great complexity of its inner workings. The technological challenge posed by its design and production required the collaboration of the finest watch making engineers.
• Since each disk weighs 30 times more than a watch hand, ultra-light disks needed to be created that maintained the watch’s power reserve and accuracy. Furthermore, each disk needed to be sufficiently resistant so as maintain its integrity and minimize friction. This dual challenge required the development of specific materials and new techniques.
• During the rotation, an adjustment to the nearest micron ensures that the disks are constantly parallel. The accuracy of the assembly requires all the know-how and skill of the master watchmakers.
A unique watch
Combining the dial and hands on a single plane, the BR 01 RADAR offers watch enthusiasts a new perception of time by liberating them from the conventional manner of reading a watch. The elegant simplicity of the RADAR’s display hides a treasure chest of complexity, and its tri-coloured style never ceases to surprise - every minute of the day.
Movement: automatic mechanical ETA 2892. Disk-based display
Functions: hours, minutes, seconds.
Case: 46 mm diameter. 316 L glass bead blasted stainless
steel with vacuum carbon black finish. Screw crown.
Dial-Index: 3 concentric black disks marked with 3
distinct colours: red indicates the hours, yellow the
minutes and green the seconds
Glass: anti-reflective sapphire.
Water resistance: 100 metres.